What We Do
Combusting sprays exhibit a complex array of physics. Experimental study of these problems lies at the intersection of multiple topics, including turbulent multiphase fluid mechanics, chemistry, thermodynamics, and optics.
- Liquid fuels are important energy-dense resources, but we must act urgently to mitigate the environmental impacts associated with them.
- Our research supports the development of high-efficiency clean combustion applications, especially those using liquid fuels.
- We develop advanced optical techniques to measure multiphase combustion physics at challenging application-relevant conditions.
- The diagnostics developed in our group help elucidate fundamental knowledge gaps to advance efficiency and mitigate harmful emissions.
- Target applications include advanced direct-injection engines, liquid rocket engines, and other high-pressure and temperature multiphase reacting flows.